Thursday, March 24, 2011

I was talking to a woman yesterday about horsemanship and skill. To my amazement she began to talk a lot of bad things about some well known horsemen such as Pat Parelli, and Monty Roberts. She made comments such as "Pat is nothing but a dam sales man, and Monty is a f....n' liar." Unfortunately this is not the first time I hear these comments, I have even been shown a video on youtube where Pat unsuccessfully demonstrates his skills and goes completely against what he teaches. Monty on the other hand has been called a liar and a fake, because according to people who have personally known him, he never spent any time in the wild like he says in his books. I would like to make a comment regarding these gentlemen. First I have attended some of Pat Parelli's clinics and I must say that they are very amusing, but it also demonstrates that even though pat does perform a lot of circus tricks, he also rides some really well schooled reiners and high level dressage movements, and to top it off he has been complimented by one of our last remaining classical masters Walter Zettl. As for Mr. Monty, well I just want to say that in my opinion  no horse should be raced or competed under saddle at age 2, because to do so such horses will have to be started as yearlings or before they turn 2. Many only worry about their reputation, and wining. A young horse whose joints have not fully developed yet are more prone to being hurt or having permanent damage, and no matter how much join up you do with these horses their physical development and their mental acceptance are two different things. To close I want to say that we all have good and bad days, and no matter how great any trainer/rider is there are always those who dislike or disagree with what they do. I would like to say too, that everyone has an opinion and we should take what these trainers have to offer that works for us and leave what doesn't.








No comments: